To provide clear and concise national news updates for Utah's Morning News and Utah's Afternoon News and general newsroom support. Periodic "on call" shifts to cover employee vacation relief and sick days can include 4AM – 1PM and 11AM – 7PM.
1. Anchors national newsdesk updates as scheduled.
2. Pulls audio, writes, produces and performs top national story twice an hour.
3. Writes a national newscast complete with audio and performs once an hour.
4. Debriefs live details of breaking news with show hosts as needed.
5. Additional responsibilities include writing, interviewing, and general newsroom support in the morning, afternoon, or evening as available.
6. Has a thorough working knowledge and understanding of KSL policy and FCC rules and regulations.
7. Attends staff meetings and meets regularly with the Program Director for airchecks.
8. Maintains confidentiality by not discussing internal KSL matters, company strategies, client's proprietary information, personnel matters, wage and salary information or any other sensitive information with clients, competitors, listeners, the media or inappropriately with co-workers and by not distributing KSL's proprietary research or other information to competitors.
8. Maintains assigned equipment.
9. Work in compliance with Company policies and procedures.
10. Work effectively in a team environment.
11. Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management, and clients.
12. Consistently works hours required. Works more when required to meet deadlines including busy news days, breaking news, weekends, holidays, evenings, and overtime, etc.
13. Project an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
14. Personal growth and development.
15. Able to manage stress effectively.
16. Other duties as assigned.
• College level education in journalism (preferred) or related field or equivalent experience.
• Two (2) years of commercial broadcasting experience or equivalent in radio/television news.
• Able to quickly conceptualize stories for radio presentation and is able to write and produce a radio newscast utilizing material from all available sources. Proven ability for accuracy and follow-through.
• Possess an acceptable on-air presence and voice quality, which exudes confidence and projects a professional image. Able to enunciate clearly read copy fluently and ad lib required.
• Self-starter with the ability to work under pressure. Willing to accept responsibility and work under moderate supervision while resolving varied problems, which require general knowledge of company policies and procedures in reporting.
• An in-house audition under the direction of KSL News may be required.
• Valid driver's license and proven ability to safely drive company vehicle or personal vehicle (as case may be) without exposing the company to serious liability risks and willing to travel. You may be required to drive your personal vehicle on occasion.
• Work in compliance with Company policies and procedures.
• Work effectively in a team environment.
• Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management, and clients.
• Consistently work hours required to meet deadlines including split-working schedule, odd shifts, weekends, holidays, evenings, overtime, etc.
• Project an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
• Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and/or written communication effectively.
• Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
• Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination.
• Lift, move, and carry up to 20 pounds on occasion.