POSITION OBJECTIVE: Seeking a dynamic, skilled storyteller who is not content to settle for the easy story but wants to find and tell quality news stories. The successful candidate will have the skill and knowledge to ask more interesting questions, find more interesting answers and be able to execute highly compelling storytelling on multiple-platforms.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to: reporting, shooting, writing, and editing news stories on deadline; developing contacts to produce original content; able to write in a factually correct, creative, clear and conversational manner.
NOTE: This is a multi-media posting, which may include TV, Online, Print in addition to Radio duties.
- College degree in journalism, communications, related field or equivalent.
- Minimum of four (4) years commercial broadcast journalism experience, or equivalent. Proven record of success should include the following:
- Ability to create and maintain ratings performance, job stability and leadership within the community;
- Being well-read, knowledgeable and articulate in dealing with current affairs;
- Ability to effectively project a variety of characteristics, such as spontaneity, good judgment and sensitivity;
- Ability to work effectively and work with other professionals to create a unique broadcast;
- Ability to maintain a maximum quality and professionalism to build audience share, with excellent judgment;
- Ability to offer creative input into news show elements;
- Willing and able to commit to personal growth through continual training, coaching and feedback;
- Ability to accept direction and be flexible with company and industry changes;
- Able to conceptualize and organize stories for radio. Additional abilities and willingness to repurpose stories for TV, print and web. Able to write, edit, produce, and stand-up report strong news stories for audio, tape or live camera in a fast and concise manner under pressure. Demonstrate ability to report and/or anchor live ad-lib unscripted news reports with continuity, meaning and clarity. Proven ability for accuracy and follow-through. Ability to shoot and edit stories preferred.
- Understanding of and willingness to publish in social mediums.
- Acceptable on-air presence including vocal delivery and professional demeanor which exudes confidence and relates effectively with other reporters and on-air hosts.
- Able to enunciate clearly and have the ability to interpret and read copy fluently.
- Goal-oriented, self-motivated individual who can effectively organize and perform work-assuring follow-through while functioning as a member of the KSL Newsradio team.
- An in-house audition covering a story and writing a report may be required.
- Willing to sign a contractual agreement.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and work under minimal supervision. Ability to use owns initiative and show innovation in problem solving.
- Self-starter, capable of performing under pressure particularly during peak hours to meet job deadlines as the services performed affect the ability of others in the department to do their work.
- Willingness to travel on the company's behalf.
- Valid driver's license and proven ability to safely drive company vehicle or personal vehicle (as case may be) without exposing the company to serious liability risks.
- Proven ability to handle stress.
- Work in compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management, and clients.
- Consistently works hours required. Works more when required to meet deadlines including weekends, holidays, evenings, old shifts, etc.
- Project an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
- Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and/or written communication effectively.
- Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination.
- Lift, move, and carry up to 20 pounds on occasion.